August Magazine: Grilled Avocado Boats
Just when you thought you’ve grilled it all, these grilled avocado boats come in for the win. Feel free to fill ’em with whatever fresh summer veggies you have on hand, but we’re partial to this chicken and blueberry salsa combo.
Grilled Avocado Boats with Chicken and Blueberry Salsa
- 1/2 Cup Blueberries
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/2 Red Onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons Roughly Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Lime, juiced
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 2 5-Ounce Chicken Breast
- 2 Ears Corn
- 1-2 Avocados
- To make the salsa, toss blueberries, tomatoes, bell pepper, red onion, and cilantro (reserve a pinch for later) with half of the lime juice, a drizzle of olive oil, and salt and pepper (to taste). Set aside.
- Meanwhile, season the chicken breasts and corn with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper (to taste). Grill both over medium-high heat until chicken is no longer pink inside (about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through) and corn kernels are soft to the touch. Remove from grill when done cooking. Once cool enough to handle, slice the chicken into strips and cut kernels off the cob. Add corn to the salsa.
- For the avocados, slice in half and remove pits. Squeeze the remaining lime juice on the avocado halves, then brush with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. With the skins still on, place avocado halves (flesh side down) on the grill for just a few minutes, until grill marks are formed.
- Remove the avocado halves from grill and stuff with the salsa. Top with grilled chicken and remaining cilantro. Serve alongside any remaining salsa.