HelloFresh Joins in on Hunger Action Month August 31, 2021
HelloFresh’s mission is to change the way people eat, forever. And with over 40 million food-insecure people in the United States, our mission could not be more relevant. Today is the first day of Hunger Action Month, a month-long campaign in September to raise awareness on food insecurity in our community and we hope you join us in the fight to end hunger.
This year’s campaign is “Food should not be an impossible choice” and sheds light on food insecure individuals forced to make decisions between feeding their families and paying for other crucial needs such as electricity, medicine, or childcare. This daily balancing act of unhealthy coping strategies (such as stretching medicine, purchasing nutrient-poor food, or skipping bills) can cause physical, emotional, and mental strains on many.
HelloFresh aims to do something about this.
At the start of the pandemic, our company pledged to combat food insecurity through the introduction of the Beyond the Box program. So far this year, HelloFresh has donated over 4 million pounds of food from our Distribution Centers to our various charity partners.
Another initiative is our Meals with Meaning program where we provide free meal kits containing HelloFresh ingredients and step-by-step recipe cards to make wholesome, home-cooked meals. We work directly with local community organizers who volunteer their time to pack and deliver these boxes right to people’s doorsteps. This year, we aim to distribute at least 1.5 million meals through fresh, nutritious kits to those in need.
How can you help this month and all year long?
- Give the gift of time and/or money:
- Volunteer at a local food bank or pantry, you can find the closest location by visiting this link. If you are unable to provide time, please consider supporting these organizations with a financial donation.
- HelloFresh Users can give the gift of a home-cooked meal and it takes less than a minute. Just go to the “HelloFresh Market” section of your menu page and select “Meals with Meaning.” You can also opt to “Donate your Box” on a skip week, (you must be signed in via desktop to do so) and it will contribute funds to the program.
- Get Social! Feeding America, the nation’s largest hunger-relief organization and sponsor of Hunger Action Month, has created a special Facebook profile picture frame for your use. In order to activate, visit your Facebook page, click on your profile picture and select “Add Frame”, search for “FA Hunger Action Month” and click “Save”!
- Be Kind – You never know who might be struggling, check on your neighbors and friends. Hunger tends to be closer than most of us think.
Leave a Reply