5 Reasons to Try This Vietnamese Bánh Mì Burger STAT (including a chance to win!) August 2, 2018
Hawaii: check! Now it’s on to Vietnam, the second stop in our month-long trip around the world. We’re tapping into the bold flavors of this Southeast Asian country by way of bánh mì, but not in the form you’d expect. Continue reading to learn more about next week’s sandwich-turned-burger beaut, and how cooking it qualifies you for the chance to win BIG* with our friends at SECRET FOOD TOURS.
At once spicy and sour, savory and sweet, bánh mì has become somewhat of an international sandwich sensation over the past few decades. Although in its literal form, the Vietnamese phrase translates to “bread,” it has come to connote in more specific terms a light, fluffy bread that, if you didn’t know any better, would swear is a French baguette. And you wouldn’t necessarily be wrong, since Vietnamese cuisine has been heavily influenced by that of the French since colonial control was established in 1887.
Come 1950, however, the Vietnamese were putting a signature spin on the French classic by mixing rice and wheat flour, baking it until the thin crust was golden brown and crunchy, and filling its roomy pockets with seemingly endless variations of roast chicken or pork, pâté, cured ham, cheese, pickled daikon radishes, carrots, cucumbers, chili peppers, and a generous handful of cilantro. Occasionally, the bread would come smeared with thick mayo. Other times, a dash of a soy sauce-like seasoning known as Maggi.
So when our chefs put their heads together to develop a Vietnamese-inspired recipe, bánh mì was the first thing they thought of. But it stands to reason that if something could stand the test of time and taste THIS good between two slices of bread, it would taste equally as delicious between two buns, right?
And the Bánh Mì Burger was born.
If you still need some convincing before selecting it off the menu, read up on our top five irresistible reasons to cook this step-by-step Global Eats recipe — for flavor, yes, but also for the chance to win BIG.*
1. There’s aromatics woven throughout the pork patty
Plain pork patties? Puhhhlease. These are bulked up with fragrant herbs, spices, and sauces that slowly intermingle and intensify as the patties sear.
- Mint: For speckles of bright green and a tinge of peppery flavor.
- Lemongrass: With long, thin, gray-green leaves and a woody scallion-like base, lemongrass lends a sour-lemon flavor and fragrance to the patties.
- Lime zest: A little goes a long way in the tangy department.
- Shallot: Firm in texture and sweet in flavor, yet subtle enough to not overpower the other players.
- Soy sauce: Because everything tastes better with a touch of fermented saltiness.
- Thai seasoning: Abiding by the maxim that good things come in small packages, our chefs packed a whoooole lot of flavor into this custom spice blend, complete with…
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons White Sesame Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Shrimp Extract Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 Teaspoon Low-Heat Cayenne Pepper
- Sriracha: With a mixture of sun-ripened chiles, garlic, sugar, salt, and vinegar, sriracha is a key player in these patties (and on ’em too).
2. Two words for you: sriracha mayo
Creamy, spicy, sweet, tangy. ‘Nuff said. Don’t worry — there’s enough for a very generous smear on your brioche buns.
3. It comes with a side of sweet and tender carrot fries
Plain fries, meh. Sweet potato fries, better. Carrot fries?! Now we’re talkin’. All they need is a quick 20 minutes in a 400ºF oven to get lightly browned and tender enough to still hold their shape. Promise you won’t even notice that potatoes aren’t present.
4. You may just find a golden ticket* in your kit bag
If you find one hiding, you’ll instantly win a delicious tour for two with SECRET FOOD TOURS in one of 28 cities… your choice!*
5. Ordering it means you’re entered to win a FREE trip to Asia*!
Each time you order one of our deliciously diverse meals tagged GLOBAL EATS off the menu (like this burger!), you’ll be entered for the chance to win a FREE TRIP TO ASIA* courtesy of our friends at SECRET FOOD TOURS.
Want to learn more about these amazingly delicious prizes? We’ve got all the deets right here.
But wait!!! We’re not done quite yet.
To thank you for being a loyal member of the Fresh Fam, we’re extending a special discount for 20% off any food tour with… you guessed it… SECRET FOOD TOURS. Just use code HelloFresh20 at checkout and enjoy the rare opportunity to step out of your tourist shoes and become a local for the day with hidden gems and unique, authentic dishes in the city of your choice —including Paris, London, Rome, Barcelona, San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Miami, LA, Las Vegas, Vancouver, Montreal, Hong Kong, and Bangkok… just to name a few.
Speaking of hidden gems and authentic dishes… check out these photos from past food tours!
Just think of these step-by-step recipes as practice for when maybe, just maybe, you’ll be walking (and eating) your way through the country — and perhaps even the world!
*NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Ends: 8/31/18. Visit hellofresh.com/globaleats to view Official Rules, including specifics on free method of playing for an instant win prize, and/or how to enter the Grand Prize drawing plus eligibility requirements. Void where prohibited by law.