15 Simple Ways to Use Up Your Summer Tomatoes August 30, 2017
Enjoy the deep red, ripe, juicy, and perfectly sweet perfection of these fresh tomato recipes.
End of summer priorities include:
- Spending as much time as physically possible outside.
- Getting the kids (and yourself) ready for school.
- Eating all the tomatoes before you’re buried under a pile of leaves and pumpkin-spiced EVERYTHING.
To help you out with that last one, we rounded up 15 of our best fresh tomato recipes — from pastas and risottos to salads, meat dishes, and flatbread pizzas.
1. Oven-Baked Corn and Tomato Risotto with Pancetta and Parmesan
We love everything about creamy risotto, except all the time spent stirring. Fortunately, our chefs created a far less labor-intensive way to whip up this Italian classic by baking it. Prepare to feast on hearty rice topped with juicy, late-summer roasted tomatoes, crispy pancetta, and lemon zest. Get the recipe here.
2. Eggplant and Sun-Dried Tomato Linguine with Fresh Mozzarella and Chili
Sun-dried tomatoes are the secret to sweet, rich tomato flavor without all the stovetop simmering — we’ll save that for the winter. Although this recipe calls for canned tomatoes, feel free to sub for seasonal fresh ones. Get the recipe here.
3. One-Pan Orzo Italiano with Chicken Sausage, Tomatoes, and Spinach
Pasta night just got a one-pan makeover with orzo that cooks up risotto-style, chicken sausage, warmed tomatoes, and cheese. ALL the cheese. Get the recipe here.
4. Chunky Funky Veggie Burgers with Lime Crema, Tomato Salsa, and Carrot Fries
We love protein-packed beans in any form, but especially when they’re shaped into burgers and accessorized with a creamy and tangy lime crema, refreshing tomato salsa, and carrot fries. Get the recipe here.
5. Sweet Italian Sausages and Blistered Tomatoes over Cheesy Kale Polenta
Polenta (aka cornmeal porridge) is the epitome of creamy comfort. But when you add in a swirl of cream cheese and shreds of fortifying Tuscan kale, it feels like a hug you can eat. We’re topping it with sweet Italian sausages and jammy roasted tomatoes, which make it all the more satisfying. Get the recipe here.
6. Crispy Mozzarella Chicken with Roasted Tomatoes and Potato Wedges
When herbs, breadcrumbs, and mozzarella are heaped onto chicken, amazing things happen. And by amazing, we mean a glorious crown of a crust. Bright red roasted tomatoes and crispy potato wedges round out this summery dinner of champs. Get the recipe here.
7. Herbed Chicken Over Zucchini Risotto with Shallot and Blistered Tomatoes
When zucchini is shredded, sautéed, and mixed with cheese and herbs, it mimics risotto in all its savory, creamy goodness — just with an added boost of nutrition and color. With an herby chicken breast and juicy warm tomatoes on top, this dinner is a must-try. Get the recipe here.
8. Gremolata Strip Steak with Cauliflower Mash and Warm Heirloom Tomatoes
Think of gremolata as pesto’s more rustic cousin. It features some of the same ingredients — herbs, almonds, and a good glug of olive oil — but it’s chopped by hand for a coarser texture and given a squeeze of lemon for additional tang that pairs perfectly with strip steak, creamy cauliflower, and bright heirloom tomatoes. Get the recipe here.
9. Sweet Potato Chorizo Breakfast Patties with Tomato Salsa and Lime Crema
This breakfast recipe takes sweet potatoes into new territory by combining ’em with crumbles of spiced chorizo, creamy black beans, and melty cheese. They’re then shaped into thick patties that get crisped in the pan and topped with chunky tomato salsa and a dollop of sour cream. Get the recipe here.
10. Cherry-Drizzled Pork Chops with Couscous Tomato Salad
A cherry on top isn’t just for sundaes. We’re using the fruit to dress up savory pork chops with a added touch of sweetness that complements the tart grape tomatoes and lemon. Get the recipe here.
11. Herbs de Provence Chicken over a Warm Farro, Mozzarella, and Tomato Jumble
Between France’s bistro fare and Italy’s trattoria eats, it’s hard to say which country’s cuisine reigns supreme. So naturally, we created a hybrid recipe featuring chicken seasoned with herbs de Provence (southern France’s trademark seasoning) and a farro caprese loaded with tomatoes, mozzarella, and balsamic vinegar. Get the recipe here.
12. Chickpea-Powered Mediterranean Couscous with Zucchini and Heirloom Grape Tomatoes
You haven’t tasted chickpeas until you’ve tried them roasted. Trust us, the delicious crunch is absolutely worth the time they spend in the hot oven. In this recipe, they’re tossed with bubbly Israeli couscous, roasted veggies, and smoked paprika for a mishmash of savory Mediterranean flavors. Get the recipe here.
13. Chunky Tomato Paprika Soup
If you thought you liked tomato soup before, prepare to be blown away. A tablespoon of paprika is the secret behind the irresistibly smoky flavor in this upgraded crowd favorite that’s light enough for the summer and warm enough for those autumn nights. Get the recipe here.
14. Cannellini Bean Panzanella with Mozzarella, Cucumber, and Heirloom Tomatoes
Panzanella is a Tuscan-style salad that eats like a full meal. Of course, you’ve got some of the usual veggie suspects (cucumber and tomato), but there’s also big croutons fashioned from baguettes, hunks of fresh mozzarella, and creamy cannellini beans. Get the recipe here.
15. Eggy Sausage Flatbreads with Tomato and Basil
Pizza for breakfast just went from “oh no” to “oh yeah!” This recipe is the opposite of a leftover slice — it’s piping hot, toasty, and loaded with delicious, morning-friendly toppings like lightly sweet breakfast sausage and sunny-side-up eggs. But since it’s still pizza, there’s tomatoes, cheese, and basil, too. Get the recipe here.
Craving even more fresh tomato recipes? Try your hand at homemade habanero hot sauce or kiwi tomato guac.
Leave a Reply