Easy King Cake Recipe With Crescent Rolls February 18, 2020
No Mardi Gras celebration is complete without a king cake!
Check out our recipe for a delicious twist on the traditional New Orleans King Cake, made with our add-on crescent rolls.
King Cake Recipe With Crescent Rolls
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Canilla Extract
- 1 Tube (8 oz) Crescent Roll Dough
- 1 Egg
- ½ Cup Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1 TBSP Milk (plus more, if needed)
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper or Nonstick Spray
- 2 Small Bowls
- 2 Medium Bowls
- Hand Mixer
- Pastry Brush
- Wire Rack
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make the filling, combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese, vanilla, and half the cinnamon-sugar mixture until fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Unroll the crescent dough on a clean, flat surface; pinch edges closed. Spread the cream cheese mixture in an even layer, leaving a 1-inch border. Roll the dough tightly lengthwise.
- Slice the dough into 12 rolls. Arrange each on the baking sheet in a circle, overlapping a bit, cut side up. Beat egg in another small bowl. Brush egg wash all over. Sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar.
- Bake king cake 20 minutes, until golden-brown. Cool 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. (If you want to add a hidden trinket inside the cake, now is the time! We recommend making it edible—try a gummy bear!)
- In a medium bowl, beat confectioners sugar and milk until smooth. Add more milk 1 tsp at a time, if needed. Pour icing over cooled cake. (Tip: Place parchment paper underneath the wire rack for less mess.) Immediately sprinkle with purple, green, and yellow sanding sugars. Slice and serve. P.S. Legend says whoever finds the trinket in his or her slice will have good luck!
Enjoy, and let the Mardi Party begin!