3 Easy No-Bake Desserts For Summer August 24, 2017
When you’re NOT in the mood to turn on the oven (or when it’s too hot to even think about it), these easy no-bake desserts will be a life-saver.
Don’t get us wrong — we love baking. But sometimes, we’re just not in the mood deal with an oven, especially when it’s hot outside. Instead, we’d rather use the fridge or freezer for set it and forget it-type desserts that leave us ample time to get outside and enjoy the last lingering days of summer without worrying about burnt muffins or scorched cookies. So when that sweet craving hits, don’t be left stranded. Instead, whip up one of these no-fuss, no-bake, all-fun desserts.
1. Nutty Coconut Bars
Sweetened only with honey and bulked up with a mixture of protein-packed almonds and cashews, these bars are a perfect post-dinner treat, pre-workout boost, or anytime snack.
- 1 Cup Almond Flour (or 1/4 cup coconut flour)
- 1/4 Cup (1/2 Stick) Butter, melted
- 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/3 Cup Honey (or brown rice syrup, if vegan)
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Raw Unsalted Cashews, chopped
- 1/3 Cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- Pinch Sea Salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread dough in an even layer.
- Sprinkle with coconut flakes before refrigerating 2-4 hours.
- Slice into rectangular bars before serving.
READ MORE: Are All Sugars the Same?
2. 5-Ingredient Chocolate Mousse
Who knew something so elegant could be this simple?
- 2 1/2 Cups Cold Heavy Whipping Cream, divided
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Assorted Berries, for topping
- Heat 1 cup heavy whipping cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until hot, but not boiling.
- Meanwhile, use a hand mixer to beat eggs and granulated sugar until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- With mixer on low, slowly pour warmed heavy cream mixture into eggs and sugar.
- Pour back into saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 4-5 minutes, making sure it doesn’t boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until melted.
- Cover and place in fridge until chilled, about 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, use a whisk to whip remaining heavy cream until you see peaks. Fold and incorporate whipped cream into chocolate.
- Top with berries and a light sprinkle of flaky sea salt before serving.
READ MORE: Vegan Chocolate Pudding Recipe
3. Fruity Cheesecake
The key to a no-bake pie crust is a simple mixture of nuts and dates. Just be sure to stop periodically while blending to make sure everything gets pushed down into the blades.
- For the crust:
- 1 Cup Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Pitted Medjool Dates
- 1 Cup Walnuts
- 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Dash Cinnamon
- Dash Salt
- For the filling:
- 2 8-Ounce Packages Room Temperature Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups Cold Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Assorted Fruit
- Make crust by first pulsing almonds and dates together in a food processor until well chopped. Add walnuts, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt and blend until well combined with only small chunks visible.
- Add mixture to a lightly oiled pie plate and press down gently until even. Refrigerate at least 20 minutes, preferably close to one hour.
- Meanwhile, use an electric mixer to beat cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl until smooth, 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and slowly add heavy cream. Once all added, increase speed to medium and beat until peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice before spreading evenly into crust.
- Loosely cover and refrigerate until filling sets completely, 4-6 hours.
- Top with fruit just before serving.
Speaking of dates, have you heard of no-bake bliss balls? They’re small in size, mighty in flavor, and well primed for a spot in your no-bake summer kitchen.