Watermelon Mint Juleps Recipe June 24, 2016
Cool down on hot summer evenings with our simple and fruity watermelon mint juleps.
Ahhhhh watermelon, how we adore you.
Your shiny green exterior and deep-red flesh are a welcome sight for sore eyes after the long winter months. And with every BBQ invitation we receive, the only thing we can think of is your thirst-quenching crunch. You’re refreshing, oh-so-sweet, and downright irresistible.
Not to mention healthy! Our head dietitian and nutrition manager, Rebecca, gave us all the juicy deets about the benefits of this summertime staple.
- Watermelon has a high water content (over 90%) and works wonders when it comes to skin hydration.
- Watermelon contains lycopene, a heart-healthy and anti-inflammatory phytonutrient also found in tomatoes, pink grapefruit, and guavas.
- Thanks to arginine (an amino acid that helps with blood flow), watermelon increases our stamina and physical performance.
Alright, now that we’ve gotten that watermelon love letter out of our systems, it’s time to get down to business. And by business, we mean cocktails. And by cocktails, we mean watermelon mint juleps.
Take note, folks, it’s one in a melon.
Watermelon Mint Juleps Recipe
For the juice:
- 1/4 Cup Bourbon
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Watermelon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Club Soda
- 2 Tablespoons Mint Simple Syrup
- Crushed Ice
- Fresh Mint Leaves
- 2 Cups Fresh Watermelon Chunks
For the syrup:
- 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Bunch Mint Leaves
- Add the watermelon to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour through sieve to remove pulp.
- Make the syrup by adding the sugar, mint, and water to a saucepan and heating at medium high heat. Stir constantly. When it starts to simmer, reduce the heat to low and cook for another 2 minutes. Allow to cool and remove the mint leaves.
- Combine the bourbon, watermelon juice, and 2 Tablespoons mint syrup and shake.
- Add some roughly crushed ice to your glasses, pour the cocktail over it, and top with club soda.
- Garnish with mint leaves for a beautiful finish!
Happy Hour and Happy Cooking!
UP NEXT: Campari Float Recipe
Leave a Reply