Apricot Donuts November 21, 2015
Putting fruit in stuff makes it healthy, right? If we’re operating under that assumption, than these apricot donuts are practically salads. Isn’t that great news? A delicious, sweet treat that you can write off in your food diary as a great decision. It’s not that we want to ruin your diet or anything, but let’s just say these donuts are worth the hiccup.
Now doesn’t that look worth it? We know we’ve shared a lot of amazing dessert recipes these past few weeks, but apricot donuts just might top the list. Don’t like apricots? Fill them with WHATEVER YOU WANT. You heard me correctly. While a sweet treat is yummy with a fruity surprise, chocolate might be more your taste. This recipe allows for ultimate tailoring. Maybe make every one different and play Russian Roulette: Donut Edition- the game where everybody wins.
Don’t worry if you’re not quite a master pastry chef, either. These donuts practically cook themselves. The steps you are responsible for are not only easy, but kind of fun! Once the donuts are cooked and cooled, filling them can even be a fun family activity to get the kids involved. No pastry bag? No problem. Just snip the tip off of a Ziploc plastic bag and use that instead!
- 4 cups plain flour
- 3 tbsp yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 pinch of salt
- Frying Oil
- Apricot Marmalade (to taste)
- Powdered Sugar
- Add the flour and yeast into a mixing bowl along with the sugar and salt and mix together.
- Add the milk, melted butter and the egg yolks and mix together thoroughly
- Cover and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes
- Knead gently for another few minutes and the divide the dough into equally sized balls – with lots of space between them wherever they rest. Leave for another 20 minutes
- Heat the oil up to 350 degrees. Fry the donuts on both sides until they are golden
- Take them out of the oil and allow them to cool down
- Add the apricot marmalade into a piping bag with sharp tip and add the jam into the donuts
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!