The ULTIMATE Game-Day Beef Chili (that this NFL player loves) January 22, 2018
Doesn’t matter what side you’re on. Everyone will be rooting for this beef chili on game day.
Chili is the perfect way to tackle your football player-sized appetite on Superbowl Sunday and beyond. Our take on the hearty classic comes together with tender ground beef, creamy cannellini beans, a kick of heat from the poblano pepper, and a generous dollop of sour cream to cool it all down.
The result? Comfort food at its finest, and an all-around dinnertime touchdown for the whole team — picky eaters included.
But don’t just take our word for it. Trust Buster Skrine, cornerback for the NY Jets. He’s a huge fan of this chili recipe.
Game-Day Beef Chili with Cannellini Beans, Poblano Pepper, and Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Scallions
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Poblano Pepper
- 1 Can Cannellini Beans
- 10 Ounces Ground Beef
- 1 Tablespoon Mexican Spice Blend (2 parts chili powder, 1 part oregano, 1 part smoked paprika, 1 part cumin)
- 1 Unit Vegetable Stock (bouillon cube or packet)
- 1 Package/Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Tablespoons Sour Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Wash and dry all produce. Trim, then thinly slice scallions, keeping greens and whites separate. Mince garlic. Core and seed poblano, then cut into 1/2-inch squares. Drain and rinse beans.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add beef, breaking it up into pieces. Cook, tossing occasionally, until browned at the edges and no longer pink, 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Remove pan from heat and carefully pour out and discard any excess grease left by beef. Return to medium-high heat and add scallion whites, poblano, and garlic. Cook, tossing, until lightly browned and softened, 5-6 minutes.
- Add Mexican spice blend to pan and toss to coat veggies. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add stock concentrate, beans, tomatoes, beef, and 1 cup water to pan and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and let simmer until thick and stew-like, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide chili between bowls. Sprinkle with cheddar and scallion greens. Dollop with sour cream and serve.
Check out the recipe video to get even more excited for the beef chili guaranteed to fuel you through 3+ hours of cheering and commercial-watching.
Ready, set, COOK!