How to Roast Chickpeas (+5 ways to use them) August 23, 2018
You haven’t tasted chickpeas until you’ve tried them roasted, and with this simple guide you’ll achieve crispy and slightly crunchy perfection every time.
How to roast chickpeas
1. Thoroughly rinse, then dry the chickpeas as much as possible by rolling them between paper towels or dish towels.
2. Arrange on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, but make sure you give them enough room. Crowding the pan will prevent the chickpeas from crisping up.
3. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt, and up the flavor with your favorite spice combos. Our reccos?
- Mediterranean-ish: 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 teaspoon rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- A touch of spice: 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon chili powder
- BBQ-inspired: 2 teaspoons paprika, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
4. Bake at 350ºF until golden brown and crispy, 20-25 minutes, shaking the pan every 10ish minutes to ensure even cooking.
5. Get ’em while they’re hot! Once cool, chickpeas lose their crispy texture.
How to use them
Roasted chickpeas alone make for the perfect bite-sized snack, but if you’re itching to make them part of a larger meal, try your hand at these five recipes.
1. Crispy Chickpea Tacos with Roasted Bell Peppers and Guacamole
Roasted chickpeas provide just the right amount of crunchy contrast in these veggie tacos, which get filled out with bell pepper strips, guacamole, and a zesty lime crema. Get the recipe here.
2. Kickin’ Goat Cheese Penne with Roasted Zucchini, Tomatoes, and Chickpeas
This pasta recipe comes equipped with crumbles of creamy goat cheese and a sprinkle of hot chili flakes to make it just a little feisty. But with roasted veggies and chickpeas, every bite will be filled with hearty, cozy wholesomeness, too. Get the recipe here.
3. Tunisian Freekeh Stew with Roasted Chickpeas and Greek Yogurt
Roasted chickpeas and a medley of chopped veggies keep this freekeh-based stew hearty, while our Tunisian spice blend adds an enchanting perfume. Get the recipe here.
4. Mediterranean Chickpea Orzo with Mint, Smoked Paprika, and Veggies on Top
Smoked paprika adds a hint of Spanish flair to this Mediterranean pasta dish, while chickpeas steer things towards the Middle East. Orzo represents Italy, but feta cheese holds it down for Greece. When everything’s tossed together, you’ve got yourself one gallivanting feast for the books. Get the recipe here.
5. Sweet Potato Sunshine Bowl with Crispy Chickpeas, Avocado, and Citrus Dressing over Farro
Cubes of vitamin-A-rich sweet potatoes meet slices of creamy avocado, meet protein-packed chickpeas, meet a bright citrus dressing, meet fiber-rich farro for the ultimate veggie dinner of champs. Get the recipe here.
Now that you know how to roast chickpeas, brush up on how to roast beets, too.
And speaking of roasting, do you know what the difference is between roasting, baking, and broiling? Find out here.
Leave a Reply