Mini Pistachio Buckwheat Cakes December 29, 2015
Every now and then we snag a recipe from across the pond that takes us out of our American comfort zone in the best way. With nontraditional ingredients and fresh, unexplored flavors, these treats from the UK are too good not to share.Today we want to invite you to try a recommendation from our British team for Buckwheat Cakes. Mini, adorable, and delicious, you can’t go wrong!
Mini Pistachio Buckwheat Cakes
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 2 cups butter
- 1 cup sugar (preferably brown)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 handfuls pistachios (deshelled and roughly crushed)
- 3 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- green food coloring (enough to make mint green color)
- flowers for decoration (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a rectangular baking tray. In a bowl, cream together 1 cup butter and the sugar until fluffy and pale. Beat in the eggs.
- In a separate bowl, mix the baking powder and flour together and sieve. Add the flour little by little to the creamed mixture by folding it in.
- Add the yogurt and pistachios.
- Spoon into the rectangular baking tray and smooth down evenly with a spoon. You don’t want this layer to be to thick as this thickness will form one layer of each cake only.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and leave to cool.
- While cooling, mix the powdered sugar and 1 cup butter (preferably with a handmixer or standmixer – makes for better, smoother frosting). Once this is fluffy and whiteish – add the food coloring for your desired color.
- Using a circular cutter, cut the cake into identical circles.
- Now taking three layers for each cake, smooth some icing onto all the layers and place all the layer on top of eachother. The top layer can have a pattern or chopped flowers for decoration.
Nothing better than creamy, bright whipped frosting to top a three-tier mini treat! These Buckwheat Cakes are an Instagram dream, perfect for snapping, posting, sharing, and bragging! For the topping, you can decorate any way you see fit. Fresh edible flowers, wax flowers, or even elegant edible pearls. And, although the frosting is green to represent the pistachio flavor, feel free to make the finishing touches any color you want!
Delightful and delicious. Happy Cooking!
Leave a Reply