Delicious Memorial Day Cake May 24, 2016
Are you cooking and eating with loved ones this weekend to celebrate Memorial Day? Even if you’re not, you don’t need much of an excuse to make this delicious (and patriotic!) cake. Whether you’re the host who wants to impress their guests, or a guest that wants to wow the host, this beautiful, colorful, and fruity-fresh cake is the perfect treat that looks as good as it tastes!
Gather up your berries, people, this is NOT a drill. Fresh, bright and juicy berries make this dessert truly stand out. We love scouring the farmers market every Sunday just to find the perfect batch, and the effort certainly pays off! You’ll also need:
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 cups raspberries
- 24 oz. white frosting (flavor of choice!)
- Raspberries and blueberries for decorating
Now, preheat that oven. We know it’s hot out, but this will be worth it. Tick it up to 350 degrees, and get started!
- Grease the bottom of a baking pan (13 x 9 inches), and line with greased parchment paper. Dust very lightly with flour.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the milk and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and 1 1/2 cups of the sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy. Slowly add the flour and milk mixtures, switching back and forth, mixing after each addition.
- Rinse out the bowl used for the milk mixture and add the egg whites. Beat with the electric mixer until foamy, then gradually add in 1/4 cup sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Fold the mixture into the batter slowly, until thoroughly combined. Spread into the pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- While the cake bakes, mash 2 cups of raspberries with a cup of the frosting. After the cake has cooled, split it in half lengthwise using a serrated knife. Spread the filling on the bottom half, and then put the top back on, pressing firmly to secure.
- Completely frost the cake on the top and all sides. Use your berries to make the stars and stripes of the American flag, alternating with extra frosting for the white part.
Yes, we snacked while baking. We went through a LOT of berries. It was delicious.
Voila! You’re ready to serve up a delicious and patriotic treat. Are you hosting this year? Our friends at Little Miss Party Planner DEFINITELY know how to plan a party. This cake might not be the only thing your guests are raving about in the office on Tuesday! Check out their site and blog for expertise designing the perfect event. From delicious new recipes to decorating tips, Little Miss Party Planner is the sidekick you didn’t know you needed.
We would love for you to share your favorite cookout party memory in the comments! It can be a funny story, or even a recipe for the best dish that was served. The best story will receive a delicious prize… good luck!
For more red, white, and blue inspiration, feast your eyes on these patriotic jello shots.
Leave a Reply