15 Memorial Day Recipes (straight from our favorite Instagrammers) May 26, 2017
We sourced from the experts and pulled in a few tried-and-true favorites from our test kitchen to kick off summer on a delicious note. Scroll down for 15 drool-worthy Memorial Day recipes — everything from appetizers and side dishes to the main stars of the show, desserts, and even patriotic drinks.
1. Cold Broccoli Salad With Bacon And Cranberries from Savory Tooth
We’re not sure what we like best about this colorful, hearty salad: the bright green broccoli, crisp bacon, sweet dried cranberries, crunchy sunflower seeds, or juicy heirloom grape tomatoes. We’ll let you make the call.
2. Quick Corn Salsa With Cucumbers from @fromjenniferskitchen
We cordially invite you to double dip deep into this crunchy, colorful, and summery salsa. Feel free to use crisp cucumber slices, tortilla chips or – let’s be real – a spoon to scoop up all the deliciousness.
3. Healthified Classic American Cheeseburger from Stacey Mattinson, RD
A hamburger? Healthier? What?
Yep, you read that correctly. Stacey’s masterpiece of a burger comes together with the help of lean beef, veggies, whole grain slider buns, and creamy avocado.
Is it possible for a sandwich to taste like the beach? Because this Maine-inspired meal with buttery brioche, juicy shrimp, and creamy tarragon dressing has summer written all over it.
5. Kale Citrus Salad from Bonnie Taub-Dix, RD
Citrus and greens are a match made in heaven, and not only because they taste heavenly together. The vitamin C in the citrus fruit also happens to boost the absorption of iron in leafy greens, but shhhhh — the kids don’t need to know that.
6. Grilled Caesar Salad With Lemon Tahini Dressing from RDelicious Kitchen
Julie, RD is not only a registered dietitian, but also a culinary school graduate. So when she tells you to grill romaine lettuce and top it with creamy lemon tahini dressing, avocado, and chickpeas, you don’t ask questions.
7. Moroccan Sweet Potato Salad from Food Faith Fitness
Fact #1: no summer barbecue is complete without potato salad.
Fact #2: plain old potato salad is boooooooring.
Fact #3: This spicy and sweet take on the classic dish will knock your socks off.
This isn’t your ordinary barbecue fare. Beef tenderloin is the crème de la crème of steak – so tender you could practically cut it with a spoon.
9. Red, White, and Blue Skewers
There’s nothing more family-friendly, simple to prepare, and fun to eat than skewers. Feel free to mix and match all you want, and even let the little sous chefs in on the fun. Our favorites? Watermelon/mozzarella/blueberry/balsamic followed closely by strawberry/banana/blueberry.
Spiced chicken is paired with slightly charred peppers and onions to take this chopped chicken salad to next-level YUM.
11. Berry Date Boats from real + vibrant
Don’t be fooled by their size. These berry date boats pack in finger-licking sweetness without any refined sugar, not to mention all the bright, fresh flavors you’d expect from a summer dessert.
And yes, it tastes just as delicious as it looks. But no, it’s not as difficult to make as you may think.
13. Patriotic Chocolate Bark
The perfect make-ahead, festive, easy dessert has finally arrived. And we couldn’t be more excited to share the recipe with you.
- 5 Cups White Chocolate
- Dried Blueberries
- Dried Strawberries
- Coconut Flakes
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Fill a medium pot with water. Once it simmers, turn off heat.
- Place your chocolate in a metal bowl over water (which should be touching the large area of the bowl).
- Let chocolate sit undisturbed over hot water, uncovered, until almost melted.
- Gently stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Pour onto baking sheet and use a spatula to spread out into an even, thin layer.
- Add toppings and let chocolate bark set.
14. Nice Cream
I scream, you scream, we all (even the picky eaters and grandparents and cousins and aunts and friends of friends) scream for berry, matcha, or chocolate nice cream.
We originally whipped up these cocktails for July 4, but considering how beautiful, patriotic, and simple they are, we highly recommend serving them at your Memorial Day get together, too. Highly, highly recommend.
For more grill-friendly inspiration, check out this list of HelloFresh’s top 10 best burgers.