10 Watermelon Recipes To Make This Summer July 16, 2020
Cool down this summer with all-watermelon everything — from salads and salsas to pizzas, popsicles, and cocktails.
Ahhhhh watermelon, how we adore you.
Your shiny green exterior and deep-red hue are a welcome sight for sore eyes after the long winter months. The only thing we can think of is your thirst-quenching crunch. You’re refreshing, oh-so-sweet, and downright irresistible.
To give you all the attention you deserve, we rounded up 10 of our favorite watermelon recipes — starting with salsas and salads that walk the line between sweet and savory, then transitioning to desserts. And finally, cocktails.
Time to get your summer on.
1. Watermelon Salsa
We cordially invite you to double dip deep into this colorful and zesty fruit salsa.
- 4 Cups Diced Seedless Watermelon
- 1 Cup Diced Red Onion
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- 1 Jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 Lime, zested and juiced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Toss all ingredients together until well combined.
2. Cucumber Watermelon Salad
It’s all about flavor, and NO fuss with this super simple salad perfect for lazy summer dinners.
- 1 Watermelon, cut into cubes
- 2 Cucumbers, cut into half-moons
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and diced
- Handful Torn Basil Leaves
- Handful Torn Mint Leaves
- Crumbled Feta Cheese, to taste
- 4 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Combine watermelon, cucumber, pepper, and fresh herbs. Toss well to combine, then top with feta cheese.
- Make the dressing by whisking together lime juice and olive oil. Drizzle over top and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Grilled Watermelon
Because everything’s better with a few char marks.
- 8 Watermelon Pieces (shaped like a triangle pizza slice)
- Olive Oil
- Lime Juice
- Flaky Sea Salt
- Crumbled Feta Cheese
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat and brush watermelon slices with olive oil.
- Place watermelon directly on heat, and grill 3-4 minutes per side. But don’t move ’em around too much, otherwise they won’t get clear grill marks and nice caramelization.
- Remove from grill, squeeze lime juice over top, and season with flaky sea salt and crumbled feta cheese.
4. Watermelon Fruit Pizza
You’ll never think about pizza the same way again.
- 1/2 Cup Vanilla Greek Yogurt
- 1 Teaspoon Honey
- 1 Large Round Watermelon Slice (about 1-inch thick, cut from center of melon)
- 1/3 Cup Sliced Strawberries
- 1/4 Cup Blueberries
- 1/4 Cup Halved Blackberries
- 2 Kiwis, thinly sliced
- Handful Torn Fresh Mint Leaves
- Combine yogurt and honey in a small bowl.
- Spread mixture over watermelon round, top with berries and mint, then carefully slice into wedges.
5. Cucumber Watermelon Popsicles
There’s nothing quite like the taste of fresh-from-the-freezer popsicles on a scorching hot afternoon. But instead of reaching for the store-bought kinds, try your hand at homemade ones this summer. They’re the perfect make-ahead dessert and come together with the help of pretty much anything you have on hand — like hydrating watermelon and cucumber. If you have extra mint, feel free to toss that in the mold before pouring. Get the recipe here.
6. Chocolate-Dipped Watermelon
Sweet watermelon and sweeter chocolate with a touch of salt makes for the perfect bite-sized treat.
- 6 Cups Cubed Watermelon
- 2 Cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- Flaky Sea Salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment/wax paper, and place watermelon cubes on top (making sure they don’t touch).
- Stick a toothpick into each, then freeze about 30 minutes.
- While watermelon is freezing, melt chocolate in the microwave (or a double broiler if you have one).
- Once completely melted, carefully dip each watermelon cube into melted chocolate and immediately sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place each cube on the sheet and return to freezer until ready to serve.
7. Lime Watermelon Sorbet
With just three ingredients, this recipe wins the award for easiest dessert. Maaaaaaybe even easier than “nice cream.” We’ll leave that up to you.
- 1 Seedless Watermelon, peeled and cubed
- 4 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- Mint, for garnish
- Arrange watermelon cubes in an even layer on a baking sheet, then transfer to freezer and freeze until solid, about 2 hours.
- Once frozen, transfer to a blender or food processor with lime juice. Purée until smooth.
- Divide among two loaf pans, and pack it down!
- Transfer pans to frezer and freeze until sorbet is solid but easily scoopable, 1-2 hours.
- Garnish with mint before serving.
8. Watermelon Basil Margarita
There are margarita recipes, and then there’s this margarita recipe: fruity, bold-flavored, and begging for an invitation to your dinner table. Get the recipe here.
9. Watermelon Frosé
Rosé and summer are a match made in vino heaven — and its refreshing, fruity, chilled goodness may have something to do with that. So uncork the fun with this deliciously simple watermelon frosé which, let’s be honest, is just a grown-up version of your childhood-favorite slushy. Get the recipe here.
10. Watermelon Mint Juleps
And last, but certainly not least… mint juleps! These part-bourbon, part-watermelon juice cocktails are super easy to make, always refreshing, and packed with flavor thanks to speckles of fragrant mint and a sweet (but not toooooo sweet) simple syrup. Get the recipe here.
Kiwi isn’t too far behind watermelon on the list of summer fruits we love, and we’ve got three stellar recipes to prove it.
Leave a Reply